"All humans are members of the same body Created from one essence"

"Human beings are members of a whole in creation of one essence and soul. If one member is afflicted with pain, other members uneasy will remain."

Sunday 16 August 2020

What day is it, again?

Suddenly we found ourselves at home having to deal with a situation of isolation day after day within the same space. 

Every day is the same. I wake up each morning in the exact same place, and every moment that follows is as painfully predictable as the last :) 

Indeed, this 2020 pandemic has created its own clock. There are no hours or days in Coronatime. 

I am lucky to have Google Home :) so I find myself ambling about the apartment, asking Google the time of the day, the day of the week, the weather...

I do not mean to complain. I am lucky to be able to stay inside all day, working from home. I am fortunate to still have an income. But I can't help to feel particularly restless.

It has been very hard to wrap my head around the larger question of timelessness. I feel like time has come to a standstill. 

Me at the moment do not know once I can see my family members once more, or once I can go on a vacation. But I am very happy to know exactly when I will return to work! 

There is a Corona Time. Although a vaccine or correct remedy for COVID-19 remains to be not in sight, I have now to attempt to shake the sensation of being trapped within the current. 

The coronavirus pandemic is messing with our concept of time. What day is it, again? It has become a common refrain during the coronavirus pandemic, a reflection of both how all of the days seem to blur together and how lately, we find ourselves forgetting even the simplest of details.

Every day is interminable, yet the hours fly by: the peculiar paradox of pandemic times. On any given day during the pandemic, I have literally made a hundred decisions and that is why the day feels like a month. 

This pandemic has changed the way I see myself, that's for sure. I have noticed that there is no longer a something-to-do-next. The distinction between this time and that time begins to blur. During this lockdown, my perception of time takes on a different dimension. I feel locked into a sort of perpetual present which never changes and with no diversity in quality.

Indeed during my confinement time feels so weird. When we are at work and engaging in some kind of routine or productive activity, we are experiencing what psychologists call flow. Flow is this relaxed, outward-directed attention, and it can be pleasant and calming. During our confinement, we are not doing what we normally do. We have been broken out of our routine and broken out of flow.

In times of fear and uncertainty and witnessing the devastation caused by the coronavirus crisis, daily routines feel like a luxury and we are eager to have them back.

COVID-19 showed our place on the planet and kept us grounded and humble. It did not differentiate between the rich and the poor. It created a borderless world. 

And the most important thing it increased empathy and compassion and elevated humanity globally: humility, humanity, and hope.

We must treat animals and their habitats with kindness. There is a clear connection between wildlife, humans, and coronavirus. 

To summarize, life is short so make it sweet. Emphasize humanity, humility, and hope. It is time to pause, reflect, and be mindful. 

No comments: