"All humans are members of the same body Created from one essence"

"Human beings are members of a whole in creation of one essence and soul. If one member is afflicted with pain, other members uneasy will remain."

Sunday 7 June 2020

Student Interest Inventory

Student Interest Inventory is a survey administered to students in order to gather information about their interests. “A Student Interest Inventory . . . contains questions that help teachers relate to the students as an individual” (Cunningham, 2009, p. 144).

Every time I stand up in my classroom on the first day of school, questions swirl in my mind from the moment I meet my new students :

Who are you?

What are you passionate about?

What do you love to do when you’re not in school?

What are you really good at?

What are you not so good at? 

Through all of these questions, I ultimately want to know how I can be the best teacher possible for each of my students. 

However, when I consider the 18 brand new faces staring back at me on the first day of school, it can seem a bit overwhelming!

I do ask my students these questions because I am sincerely interested in knowing more about them as individuals. It is indeed a powerful way to start the year.

Through these questions, I have the opportunity to hear the voices of All the students and their perspectives are valued.

Furthermore, it creates a classroom atmosphere which acknowledges and responds to students’ unique preferences and needs.

Students must feel that they are in a safe environment where their uniqueness will be respected.

Teachers need to make conscious efforts to celebrate differences.

No comments: