"All humans are members of the same body Created from one essence"

"Human beings are members of a whole in creation of one essence and soul. If one member is afflicted with pain, other members uneasy will remain."

Saturday 26 June 2010

Adept of the world of reading

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote

I dreamed that I floated at will in the great Ether, and I saw this world floating also not far off, but diminished to the size of an apple. Then an angel took it in his hand and brought it to me and said, "This must thou eat." And I ate the world.

Hirsch asserted that poetry and stories are a way of knowing, of acknowledging the world,...for honoring our solitudes, and for recognizing our interdependencies.

The reader of poetry is a kind of pilgrim setting out, setting forth. Reading poetry, reading books is an "adventure in renewal, a creative act, a perpetual beginning, a rebirth of wonder."

Poetry is a way of inscribing that feeling of awe.

No comments: