"All humans are members of the same body Created from one essence"

"Human beings are members of a whole in creation of one essence and soul. If one member is afflicted with pain, other members uneasy will remain."

Friday 21 October 2011

An Answer from Representative John Lewis


Dear Mrs. Ferdjani:
 
Thank you for contacting me about international food aid programs. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.
 
I believe the United States has a responsibility to help the impoverished people of the world.  I have consistently supported increases in funding for child survival and health, economic support funds, global HIV/ AIDS assistance, and national service programs like the Peace Corps.  Additionally, I have co-sponsored measures which directed the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to promote the reduction of global poverty and achieve of the United Nations Millennium Development Goal of cutting in half the number of people worldwide who live on less than $1 per day.
 
As the great beacon of hope and opportunity around the world, the United States should be at the forefront of international aid.  Non-Military Foreign Aid accounts for less than one percent of the US Budget, yet Republican leaders in Congress insist on attacking it.  Helping countries that find themselves in crisis should be a priority of ours and it shows the generosity and compassion of our great country. 
 
Again, thank you for contacting me about this issue.  Please know that I will keep your comments in mind, and I will support initiatives for famine and disaster relief worldwide.  I hope you will continue to contact me on issues of importance to you and please visit my website, www.house.gov/johnlewis for more information on legislation that interests you.
 

Sincerely,
 

John Lewis
Member of Congress

No comments: