"All humans are members of the same body Created from one essence"

"Human beings are members of a whole in creation of one essence and soul. If one member is afflicted with pain, other members uneasy will remain."

Friday 18 June 2010

Emotions


Emotions have physical aspects and psychological aspects. All human beings have emotions and according to Eric Jansen “emotions are cross cultural-the same all over the world.”

Every time I set a foot in the learning center where I teach adults to read and write I always have the same feeling, the feeling of being the longed-for. I feel comfortable within these eager learners. I feel happy and glad to be with them. I feel like they are a part of my family. After my departure I still think about their laughter which they especially have when they are very amused or happy about my miming. Most of the time, I need the use of movements and gestures in order to explain a new word or tell a story.

The girls and the women are honest and frank. Indeed I feel serene and peaceful among them.


I do feel their love and enthusiasm and the most important of all is their cheerfulness. I forget about all the tension of the day and every time I feel more joy and happiness in my heart.


On Thursday, they were fifteen women waiting for me under the main tree. They were all sitting very patiently, cross legged and with a big smile on their face. The look of their blistered feet which had to walk few miles before reaching the center made me feel really ashamed of the easy life I live.


Usually they will not enter the classroom without me. Therefore I was not surprised about their presence outside and I did not suspect anything.

They took me by the hand and we entered the classroom. The warmth of their hands communicates trust and tenderness at the same time. Just looking at their eyes was telling more than what was hidden in their heart. The women were standing with their hands on their hips, feet apart, and their head tilted. All these nonverbal cues show me that there are ready to cooperate and work hard. I meet them once a week and every time the younger one welcomes me by holding my hands to show me their acceptance and love.


You could tell by the tone of their voices that something was going on. Their voices sounded happy and excited and their faces were enlightened with pure joy.


After looking at the blackboard, I understood what all the excitement was about. All of them have written a poem with their most beautiful handwriting on the blackboard. At this moment, I felt a deep kinship with these students who find joy in reading and writing. If a woman answers correctly, they will encourage her with a round of applause. Once a week after our session, we clap hands, we dance, and we sing.

I must admit that I am not used to sit down and write about emotions. Before I sleep at night I do think about the day but I never sit and write about the feelings and emotions I have. Emotions and feelings are inside us but they need a trigger to be sparked.

I am happy that the one-day record feelings helped me to analyze and express my emotions.

(I encourage all the middle school and high school students to do that ;)



No comments: